July 18, 2010

Cooking Ideas Day 1 ( Introduction and First Meal Idea)

Hello world! I would like to take a moment to go over my purpose for the blog you will hopefully be getting into. I wanted to state that Its going to be about cooking only and ideas for cooking and anything cooking related I find interesting, all drama and stuff will stay here at home away from the blog. It seems to be that every time someone starts a blog that it ends up being a way for them to release their daily anger, or angst. I don’t want to be one of those people who go on and on about their daily stuff on a place that was intended to be fun filled, anyway on to about my cooking skills. I have always loved to cook. I took regular cooking in middle school and tried to help mom out in the kitchen as well. In high school I took the basic cooking 101 class and the advanced cooking course which both where fun classes, and we learned a lot from our teacher about cooking foods from various areas. I do sort of have a hobby for anything Asian, so apologies if the recipes seem Asian oriented a lot of the times, however I am trying to break the habit and do foods from other countries in fact I wouldn’t mind doing recipes at least one from every country. Such as the popular dish from that place, however I will not eat just anything, so there are some recipes I won’t try, however I will mention that if you like it you can add it in if you want as a optional item. I hope that you will get some amazing food ideas and start to incorporate them into your family’s diet. Which is the main reason for this blog is to help people and myself to get away from the same old same old, because I don’t know about you but it gets boring having the same foods all the time. Anyhow I hope you will continue to stay with me as I cook around the world.

The first thing I am going to post is a hearty Chicken Pot pie, made from scratch, Which is a lot better then the kind that you buy at the store, and pop in the microwave for a few minutes. There are some basic requirements needed for baking a Chicken Pot pie.

James's Homemade decedent Chicken Pot Pie

Preheat oven to 400 Degrees

For the crust

2 cups of flour

2 tablespoons of sugar

1 dash of salt

4 table spoons Butter ( I use Stick butter ) chopped into cubes

1 cup of cold water

To make the crust in a bowl add 2 cups of flour sifted, then add the sugar and salt. Add in the cubed butter and with either a fork or a pastry blender mix the cubed butter in well. When its mixed good make a well in the middle, and add about a half cup of water, and mix. Add water as needed until the dough becomes firm. You can add more flour or water if you need to. Once the dough is firm, break in two pieces, place some flour on your counter top or cutting board if your using one and roll out one ball of dough with a rolling pin until the dough is thin. Grease a cake pan and line it with the rolled out dough. Roll out the 2nd ball of dough and set to the side. preheat for 3 to 4 minutes do not cook all the way through. Once done take out and let cool. If you wish to you can refrigerate the dough over night if you do not need to hurry.

Filling

1, 16 oz bag frozen mixed vegetables

1, 16 oz bag of frozen Broccoli and Cauliflower

1-2 lbs of chicken (optional if you want it vegan add more vegetables of your choice )

1 can cream of celery

1 can cream of broccoli

1 table spoon garlic

1 table spoon parsley

1 table spoon basil

2 table spoon oil ( For cooking chicken )

3 tablespoons corn starch ( mixed well in 1/4 cup of water )

In a large pot combine can of cream of celery with a half can of water and a can of broccoli with a half a can of water. cook both bags of frozen vegetables in the celery and broccoli soup mixture. add garlic parsley and basil then bring to a simmer string occasionally. In a pan with oil fry the chicken I cooked mine in peanut oil with sesame seeds. add the chicken into the soup mixture. and cook for another 10 minutes. Turn off the stove and add the corn starch and water mixture and let it thicken up. Pour the soup mixture into the pie crust covered cake pan, It should fill up to the top. Place on top the rolled out dough made earlier on top. Trim the sides with kitchen scissors or by hand. Cut a X in the middle and a stright line between the x's empty spaces about 1/4 inch away from the x and as middle as you can get the line to be cut. For vents. Place the finished pie on a cookie sheet to keep any spills from dripping inside the oven. bake in the preheated oven for 45 minutes or until the crust is golden brown. You can keep the pie for about a week in the refergerator covered. Enjoy !


No comments:

Post a Comment